Sunday, August 31, 2008

Artichoke flowers - the new puppies?


Yesterday morning, while at the Union Square Greenmarket (aka farmer's market) in NYC, I picked up an artichoke flower for my wife. During my walk through the market to the subway entrance, and my subsequent subway ride back to Brooklyn, no fewer than two dozen people stopped me to ask what I was carrying.

By the time I returned home, I became convinced of this fact - an artichoke flower may perhaps be the cheapest and quickest way to meet someone in the city. Men and women of all ages stopped me to inquire about my purchase, which cost all of $5. In NYC, this attention is typically doled out upon only one other object - puppies, the cutest of which can cost upwards of $5,000. So, for 1/10 of 1% of the cost of a canine, I received the same amount of attention as the bearer of a cockapoo or puggle.

So, to all those people looking to meet other people, I suggest skipping the walking, the plastic bags, and the shredded shoes, and just pick up an artichoke flower. Hermits, shut-ins, and other socially-averse types, on the other hand, might want to steer clear.

No comments: